Toxoplasmosis

Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by a parasite known as Toxoplasma gondii (T. gondii). This single-celled organism is commonly found throughout the world with cats playing an important role in its spread. The parasite forms egg-like structures called oocysts that can be found in the animal’s faeces.

People can become infected with the toxoplasmosis parasite through contact with infected animal faeces (poo).

iStock_000041851290_kitten

Another way of catching this infection is touching or eating raw or undercooked lamb, pork or kangaroo meat. The parasites can be stored in small pockets (cysts) in the muscle tissue of these meats. Drinking contaminated unpasteurised milk can also cause infection with toxoplasmosis parasites.

Other practical ways to minimise the chance of infection include:

  • Freeze meat for several days before cooking
  • Peel or wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly before eating
  • Wash cutting boards, dishes, counters, utensils, and hands with hot soapy water after contact with raw meat, poultry, seafood, or unwashed fruits or vegetables
  • Avoid drinking untreated water.

Check out this advice from the Better Health Channel

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial